Thursday, September 12, 2019

Newcastle upon Tyne

Last year returning from Glasgow  my train passed through Newcastle, looking  out the window it looked interesting. Not to mention  one of  my fave  shows Vera takes place there. It was just over an hour train from York and I arrived it was raining a bit but  not heavy.  I walked around to get my bearings and visited a  church, and I found where  Taste of  Persia was as that was going to be my meal treat. 

I visited St  Nicholas  Cathedral, it was a beautiful old church built in 12th and added it too many times over the years. They had tea and cookies some as I yakked with  a girl who was pouring tea  mentioned watching  "Vera" set in Newcastle she told me several places nearby that was used for filming.


Tyne Bridge


Floating  Man



View from the Swing Bridge

Nicholas Cathedral Clock Tower





Golden  Girl clock

lunch at a  Taste  of Persia lamb stew


Church of St Thomas the Martyr
I was getting hungry so I walked back to the Persian restaurant  and ordered Lamb stew it was so good. I walked past the ruins of the old castle and across Swing  Bridge and just enjoyed the view.  I was walking the streets  and looking up and in the distance there  was the "angel"  the woman at the  church told me about so I headed towards it. Then I came across some elephants, and found  out they were part of fundraising for St  Oswald's hospice. I found another church and it started rain so I looked in shops  before I caught train back to York.



Elmers Great North Parade









Madison Memorial 




the  angel





No comments:

Post a Comment