Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tramping through Reitro Park Madrid

I finally found my way to Retiro Park which literally "Park of the Pleasant Retreat" it is one of the largest parks in Madrid it was about a 30 minute walk from my hotel. The park has over 15,000 trees, and there are a number of gardens Jardin de Vivaces and Jardines del Arquiteco.  One of the most interesting looking trees is the Mediterranean Cypress tree that are very easy to shape into any form, see below. There are also a number of fountains in the park including Fuente de la Alcachofa a Baroque fountain designed by Ventura Rodriguez and built in 1781 

Mediterranean Cypress tree








As I continued my way through the park I found so many interesting places the weather was a bit gloomy so I can only imagine what it would look like on a sunny day. Fall was setting in which made for some areas quite colorful. I got a bit hungry and had hot chocolate and a churo. 


the boating lake
Palacio de Velazquez 


Fuente de la Alcachofa (Artichoke Fountain) 



I finally came across the Palacio de Velazquez but it was closed but it was quite nice to admire from the outside and then finally Palacio de Cristal with a lake and a fountain of water in front and beautiful fall colors. The palace was open and it was free there was an exhibition going on by a Vietnamese artist by the name of Dahn Vo it was named Banish the Faceless it was quite interesting.  I came across another little eating place and they had sangria and popcorn what a nice combo treat.






Palacio de Cristal 
Dahn Vo art





Sangria and popcorn what a combo


No comments:

Post a Comment