Saturday, December 20, 2014

Cote d'Azur (French Riviera)


route of train

I realized after my train ride to Monaco I could buy a ticket to a destination and get off at other towns along the way and explore. Some of these towns were so close together I was not always sure what I town I was seeing in the distance, for example the white building entitled * view from Eze  not sure exactly where that was I kept seeing it.

Villefranche-sur-Mer

First stop was arriving at a sparkling town of Villefranche-sur-Mer. A Riviera seaside resort town, known for its medieval vaulted passages, red tile roofs. It was a pretty place I spotted it on my way to Monaco with sparkling water and and I strolled along the waters edge and up into town, it is a cruise stop location. I walked around the old town for a bit on my way back to the train I could see some men going  into the sea with Santa hats.

Santa dip?
Chapelle de St. Pierre-des-Pecheurs

Villefranche-sur-Mer
spot Cricket

up to the old town

part of the creche in the church love the expression


Next stop was upon arriving  in Cap d'Ail I seemed to be in the middle of nowhere when I arrived  I climbed up stairs to the road and started walking and after about 20 minutes uphill I arrived in the town. I strolled around and spotted a gazebo up some stairs so I climbed up, I saw people having Christmas food and entertainment and Santa and  I asked if it they were selling stuff  the woman said it was put on by the local merchants  and she offered hot wine and of course I accepted I was also able to get my photo taken with Santa!!!!!!!!



Off to Eze I got off the train and could see the Sea so I headed towards it found a beautiful spot and only 2 people there one looked like a young Donovan and another was just eating his lunch and enjoying the view just as I did watching the waves crash against the coast. Eze is famous worldwide for the view of the sea from its hill top. I know you can reach that by bus that runs infrequent so I did not bother to try I hopped on a train and noticed there was some of the town on the other side of the track but I was ready to move on to my final destination, so I did not check it out.


enjoy the sea in Eze


*view from Eze

Beaulieu-sur-Mer     
zooming in to the cloud? mist? smoke?



Final stop on my day trip was this town and it was really beautiful I read about several walks to take on a brochure at the tourist office, and headed off. I walked down to the water, as usual The Mediterranean Sea was a calling me  had a lot of yachts parked there one that was covered was huge. I walked back to the town center enjoyed the Christmas decorations and then decided it was time to head back to Nice after a nice day of exploring. I had a very yummy chicken kabab for dinner the pita was one of the best I ever had.


The 11th century Chapelle Santa Maria de Olivo Beaulieu-sur-Mer

Église du Sacré-Cœur-de-Jésus

these 2 looked like they were having a conversation

         



Christmas in Beaulieu sur Mer


Selfie


super yummy chicken kabob Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment