Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Rome I finally came to see you

Getting my ticket from the Swiss Guard

It was quite the flight over to Rome as in 3 flights, I left home at 2.10 and the first flight was to Boston where I had  a lay over and then on to Lisbon and then finally Rome. I did manage to get some sleep on the way over. I had arranged a taxi to pick me up at the airport through my B and B he was there waiting and we walked a bit to his car I have a feeling he knew very little English (something I would discover over and over on this trip.) We arrived at the B and B and the owner came out. I was soon to be disappointed as I was not going to be staying at that B and B he took me around the corner to another place.  He also took me to a little restaurant a few doors away that I could have my breakfast in and introduced me. I was given 4 keys to use to lock each door. I had inquired by email about ticket to see the Pope at his audience the next morning and he remembered and told me I should go see the papal guards. I was a bit tired so I rested for about an hour and then went out. One advantage of this place was I was close to the Vatican I just had to walk out my door and walk through a tunnel and was about 10 minutes away. The first place I stopped had no tickets left but I was advised to go a little further. Once there I was able to obtain a ticket so I was happy. So many people by the Swiss guards were so busy snapping photos. The one guard finally said ONE PLEASE. I got my ticket and then said may I please take a photo and he said yes so I took one. I decided to do some looking around now that I was out. I walked around the Vatican, and also by the Tiber River. 


View of St Peter's from outside my B and B Door

the way to the Vatican




At St Peter's Basilica
fountain at the Vatican
Clock Tower


Castel Santa Angelo  The Castle is famous for the ancient myth that an angel once came and hovered over it to announce to Roman Citizens the Plague was over.
  

St Angelo Bridge








Ponte Vittorio Emanuele Bridge
 

Ponte Vittorio Emanuele Bridge




No comments:

Post a Comment