Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Day Tripping to Ravenna and Parma

I wanted to visit Ravenna so I walked over to the train station but unfortunately missed the train by a few minutes and had to wait 2 hours for another one. I made it to Ravenna but since it was Easter Monday most places were closed except for churches so I wandered around. From the fifth to eight centuries Ravenna was th western capital of The Roman Empire. Ravenna was a lagoon city and was covered over in the 15h century.

I went into some of the churches the best by far was Basilica di Santa Maria in Porto. After a bit of a walk I found this beautiful Basilica, I really enjoyed looking around inside.


Basilica di Santa Maria in Porto
























The next day was a trip to Parma a train passed us at high speed and scared the crap outta everyone including me. 
It was a bit of a hike from the train station to the Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Steccata and when I arrived it was closed I looked around more of Parma until it opened. The Shrine of Santa Maria della Steccata is Greek cross design Renaissance church. Several more  beautiful churches was Church of San Vitale and also Church of SS Annunciata. A street with hanging lampshades also caught my eye.




















church of San Vitale Parma




Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Steccata























  


No comments:

Post a Comment