Tuesday, April 3, 2018

One Hell of a time visiting Ghent



I took bus to Ghent but had no idea how to get into town,  I stopped in a store near the train station picked up some water and then walked to the area buses leave from, and I had no clue exactly which bus to take. I was lucky and I found someone who could speak English and she told me how to walk to the old town rather than take a bus,as it was not far.  It was a nice walk to the old town really enjoyed it and it was turning into a really beautiful day. 






in a shop window









St Nicholas 


altar st Nicholas 
the Pulpit by Laurent Delvaux depicting The Triumph of Truth over Time


St Nicholas Church


St Michael's church

Archangel Michael slaying dragon

view along canal

old fish market


I was looking for a bit to eat so I managed to hobble down a bunch of stairs into a grocery store. I looked around and finally settled on a sandwich and a cold drink. I got in a line waited my turn scanned my items and attempted to pay for it using my credit card. First let me explain there were photos of master card and visa on near the self pay register and trying to get it to work impossible finally someone came to help and pointed to the signs and explained that meant I could not use credit card. I have cash but it was tucked away under clothes for safety. The woman sent me to another line and I waited about 10 minutes for my turn. Again even though I was told to go to that line guess what they did not accept credit cards either.   By now I was totally annoyed and just left my items on the counter and proceeded to leave the store. I was stopped by a man who demanded to see what I had stolen apparently he decided since I left the stuff on he counter I had stolen something. He insisted in looking in my bag that I have camera water in and I also had a package with some cookies. He gave a sound like ah and pulled it out and could see marked clearly it was from another store. I just headed out of the store with him calling after me sorry madam so so sorry, I did not even look back. 





The Five Knelt Men by George Minne



by artist Koen Pennick













I was by the canal and thinking should I take the canal boat trip but it was looking dark and then a few drops of rain so I decided to start a slow walk back to the bus station as I knew there was a bus at 5 pm. It was a nice walk and somehow remembered the way. I arrived and waited but no sign of a bus. I looked at the schedule and saw there was a bus leaving at 6 pm. It arrived and I went up to the driver who was having a break and I asked to buy a ticket. I first asked if he was going to Lille, it was the correct bus number but I wanted to be sure.  He said yes and it would cost 30 euro and that made no sense as it cost me 11.90 to get there. I kept saying to Lille you are going to Lille.  I tried to explain that and he said because you did not buy on line. I managed to come up with 30 euro and I got on he bus. I was sitting waiting for the bus to leave and I heard two girls across from me wondering where they'd stay when they arrived in Amsterdam. I said is this bus is going to Amsterdam they said yes. I got off the bus and so did another woman who also thought we were going to Lille. The driver said yes we go to Amsterdam and gave me my money back. Thank goodness another bus was due at 7.30 and I was a wreck until it arrived which it did late but phew.







Cloth Hall

skeleton of Leo the rorqual (whale) 





The Groot Huis Royal Dutch Theater

Gravemsteen Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment