Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Lucca beautiful Tuscan city


St Michael the Archangel

A trip to Lucca was on my list and I decided to visit for a day. I hopped a train and it was a pretty short trip to Lucca, which name means illuminated glade; is located on the Serchio river and is surrounded by ancient walls that date back to 17th century and beautiful cobblestone streets. I would have liked to walk some of the ancient Wall but with my knees did not even try. It was a short walk from the train station to the walled city of Lucca. 


I was awestruck by the beautiful church San Michele in Foro. The church dating from the 12th century is a Romanesque church with its magnificent marble facade which is considered to be one of he finest examples of Pisan  Romanesque style. On the top of the church was a statue of St Michael the Archangel I went inside and walked around admiring the art work, and for some reason one of the men depicted on the ceiling reminded me of George Carlin and I named him St George. 


San Michele in Faro



Madonna and Child
St Michael in Foro by Andrea della Robbia

"george carlin angel"


Yours truly St Michael Church


St Martin Cathedral




St Martin and the beggar

San Giusto church 

Altar San Giusto church 






I next came across the Basilica of San Frediano, Frediano was an Irish bishop of Lucca early 6th century and he had a church built on the spot which was dedicated to St Vincent who was a martyr from Zaragoza Spain. Frediano was buried in the church and it was renamed SS Frediano and Vicenzio. The amazing huge mosaic of Christ with two angels is by Berlinghiero Berlingheri

The cathedral San Martino was beautiful it had Romanesque facade it was rebuilt in the 13th century. As I went inside the famous 13th century carving of St Martin and a beggar caught my eye and the tomb of of Illaria del Caretto 15th century with the beautiful dog in marble.





Basilica of San Frediano







Chiesa e Bassistero di San Diovsnnie e Santa



St Martin Cathedral







the Holy Face


entrance to the walled city of Lucca



Lucca








No comments:

Post a Comment