Sunday, May 1, 2016

A Visit to Freetown Christiania




I set off in to find Freetown Christiania I took a bus turned out it was a lot closer than I thought only two stops.  I first came across the Church of Our Saviour I had seen it from my canal trip and the spire looked amazing,  mass was going on so I headed for Freetown which was very close. Freetown Christiania is a mix of homemade houses, workshops art galleries and cheap and organic places to eat. It is a society within a society you can not buy a house you have to apply for it and if you are successful it is given to you. Freetown is a self-governing established in 1971 on the site of a military barracks as an alternative to mainstream culture.  For your own safety visitors are advised not to photograph in Christiania (there were certain places you could) the area around Pusher Street, mainly due to hash dealing which is illegal.  There is a sign that is a warning  as you enter that area.   It may not be legal but I should could smell some. I also saw a older woman walking with a younger guy she looked bombed out of her mind and her skirt barely covered her butt and she has a joint in her hand and she was yakking on and on with her hands flailing thought of my one of my mom's sayings the things you see when you don't have a gun.  I found a ice-cream place and had some very yummy the sun was out today and it was quite warm, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it





Murals Freetown



warning no photos allowed past here




I then walked back to the church of Our Saviour and mass had ended so I was able to go inside and look around, it was beautiful inside and full of angels. The spire on the church was consecrated in 1752, it has has a spiral staircase with four twists, I did not even try to go up on top, with my knees and 400 steps.  I headed to the canal again and Nyhavn, which is a 17th century waterfront and canal district which was dug by Swedish prisoners between 1670 and 1673. The northern side of Nyhavn is lined with brightly colored townhouses built of wood bricks and plaster. The oldest house #9 was built in 1681 and Hans Christian Anderson lived in house #67.  I was a bit famished at this point and I decided to try a Danish hotdog and I am glad I did it was yummy.  I decided to head off and look for some of the palaces and castle of Copenhagen and that's another post.



the Spire of church consecrated  in 1752 the view from the top is the best in town








the Carillon is world famous





 Nyhavn


Danish Hot dog











No comments:

Post a Comment