Friday, May 22, 2015

London Always Someplace New


What can I say I never seem to get enough of London. The reason I was back so soon was because of PAUL McCartney he was doing a couple shows in London at the 02.  I decided it was time to stay in a different area a new place to explore so I choose to stay in Stratford in East London. That area was revived because of the 2012 Olympics. Stratford was a tiny pre Roman settlement on the road linking London and Colchester. The transformation seems amazing from photos I have seen before the makeover for the Olympics changing one of London's most deprived areas. The Westfield Mall Europe's largest Urban Mall is located here as well as Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
the colorful Stratford Center

up to the Mall



East meets West in Stratford






A visit to Greenwich was on tap for my first day I had not been there in years and decided it was time to revisit. On the way my friend Laurie had told me about the statue of Peter the Great so we went to look at it Greenfell Mansions off Glaisher Street beside the Thames at the entrance to Deptford Creek.


quite an interesting group


what a chair




Then on wards to Greenwich where the Cutty Shark is docked, feeling a bit famished it was time for a meal and Laurie spotted the Goddards at Greenwich which offers traditional pie and mash.  I got the last Rosemary and Lamb and Rosemary pie

and Laurie was sweet enough to let me have it.  We had to climb up to the 2nd floor and Laurie again being a sweetie carried my meal up for me it was a lovely meal.
Cutty Sark



Lamb pie YUM
We walked around Greenwich for a bit made a stop in a church that was actually about to close but they let us have a quick look around. It was pretty I snapped this shot of the beautiful stain glass and it sure looked like Henry the 8th was portrayed.  By this time I was more than ready to head back to Stratford Holiday Inn to crash in my room pretty exhausted from the flight over.
crazy street names


is that Henry Lurking


No comments:

Post a Comment