Thursday, April 17, 2014

Exploring Old Town Prague





A sunny day and chance to explore more Prague who could ask for more.  I headed back to old town to the Easter Market and visited several churches there as it was Holy Thursday so I decided to see if I could visit 7 churches like I did when I was younger.


easter egg tree Old Town
St Nicholas Church

jean hus staromestske namesti
Our Lady before Týn

I also took the chance to see the Astronomical clock strike the hour there were quite a few people waiting I was early this time so I could get a good spot and I was ready to film as the clock struck. (The clock was first installed in 1410, making it the third-oldest astronomical clock in the world and the oldest one still working. the astronomical dial, representing the position of the Sun and Moon in the sky and displaying various astronomical details; "The Walk of the Apostles", a clockwork hourly show of figures of the Apostles and other moving sculptures-notably a figure of Death (represented by a skeleton) striking the time; and a calendar dial with medallions representing the months).



the Astronomical clock

figures on the clock



I headed back to Charles bridge that I had visited at dusk the night before and walked across it, today it was packed and hard to maneuver or take photos  I am happy I visited it the evening as it was less crowded. (The bridge is 621 m long and nearly 10 m wide, resting on 16 arches shielded by ice guards. It is protected by three bridge towers, two of them on the Lesser Quarter side and the third one on the Old Town side. The Old Town bridge tower is often considered to be one of the most astonishing civil gothic-style buildings in the world. The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-style, originally erected around 1700 but now all replaced by replicas). I picked up a tour schedule for a boat trip but in the end it did not happen by the time I made it back to that area it was too late. I walked the streets the other side of the Charles Bridge I toyed with going back to the Castle to visit St Vilinus Cathedral but was too tired to climb back up.


Lesser Town




When I was done exploring Lesser Town where I visited St Nicholas Church , and then  I headed back to Old Town and the Easter Markets, I came across a small park that seemed to be in an odd place called Vrbta Garden a beautiful Baroque garden established around 1720. I was ready for dinner skibob on a stick veggies that I had spotted earlier. I ordered one and then sat shared a bench with some woman and listened to the music and watched the dancers, as best as I could from the distance. I found I was still a little bit hungry and went in search of something different and tried goulash soup spicy yum. I wandered up and down more streets and found I was able to find my way back to my hotel via a different route.

No comments:

Post a Comment