Saturday, April 19, 2014

Time with the Masters


Sistine Madonna



My goal today was a visit to the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister (Old Masters Picture Gallery), located at The Semper Gallery, Zwinger Palace the admission was 6 euro and included to other museums.  The Gallery has 750 paintings on display including  Reuben, Rembrandt, Van Dyke and Raphael including the very famous Sistine Madonna, (with the famous little angels at her feet).  They were separated into various rooms around the gallery. I was lucky I went early as it was not too crowded except for viewing Sistine Madonna which was amazingly beautiful and worth the visit alone. I studied a lot of the works closely and some I just did a quick glance and moved on never have been fond of bowls of fruits or flowers. The hard part was to enjoy a number of paintings that were on the ceiling in one area heading upstairs.

I walked around Zwinger Palace again to see how some things looked on a less cloudy day and discovered Nymps that I had not seen the day before.



Balthasar Permoser nymp garden Dresden






I then hopped the tram to cross the bridge and explore another area. On the whole that area was not too impressive and I just walked into streets hoping to find something of interest. I saw a little place that had a photo of 4 scoops of ice cream in the window.  I went in and planned just to get a single cone but it looked so tempting that I went with that 2 chocolate scoops and one vanilla and one vanilla colored ice cream that had no idea what it was it was all topped with whip cream and a cookie. I took a seat and enjoyed.




I walked along Elba River for awhile and then I found a place to sit and just enjoy the sun. I decided to take a boat ride, I kept waiting for a tram and when none appeared I walked over the Bridge and down to where the boats leave from.  It was quite a long line and when I finally got a ticket it was just minutes before the boat departed. There were hardly any seats left on top outside and managed to squeeze in one tiny one where I actually was sitting opposite way of where the boat was headed. It was a nice trip down the Elba and I was glad I was able to ride down Elba, the sun felt good I closed my eyes part of the time and nearly sent to sleep.


Brühl's Terrace

View from the boat


I hopped the tram towards my hotel but kept an eye out for the area I saw eating places the day before and hopped off. I picked a yummy chicken kabob box and sat outside again to enjoy, I was very tired and decided time to go back to the hotel and just relax.

the Yenidze building

Frid Avgvstvts I



No comments:

Post a Comment