Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pena Palace the Palace in the sky


I  walked down to the Gourmet bakery in my lovely guesthouse Espaço Edla  in Sintra where I was placed at a lovely table on a chair that looked like a throne. I was served a breakfast of coffee and lovely bread, ham and cheese and when I was done I was given a lovely dessert. The place was lovely and room was very enjoyable and I just enjoyed all the lovely things on display and some of them for sale it was such a elegant little cafe.

so yummy

I took the bus 434 to Pena Palace  or Castle is located at the top of the Serra de Sintra and it is the most remarkable monument of Romanticism in Portugal. The bus dropped us off and then you could either pay to take a shuttle or walk to the top I chose to walk. The Palace dates back to 1839, when the King Consort Dom Fernando II of Saxe Coburg-Gotha (1816-1885) bought the ruins of the Hieronymite Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Pena and started to adapt it for use as a residence, according to his Romantic taste.

When I arrived I was a bit disappointed as it was quite gloomy so I first went inside and looked  around the palace there was an older English gent looking to he told me he has been there many times and always is amazed by it. When I came out it was starting to clear up some. I decided that I had to see it with blue skies and decided to stick around until it cleared up. I was not disappointed.  I will let the pictures tell the story.





Pena Palace























I then headed back to town and walked around to try and find something to eat and I was just the wrong time as all the cafe type places were closing by 6 pm so dinner was not available at this time which was around 5.30.  I finally walked back to near my hotel and found a Chinese restaurant that opened at 6 pm and I had a  nice dinner of chicken and mushroom.


My lovely room

Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment